Saturday, April 3, 2010

Supernanny Audition

So, today I auditioned for the Supernanny television show. Well, I might as well have been.  It was a beautiful morning, and a perfect day to get a little shopping done.  I should have realized when Jonah kicked up a fuss for the second day in a row about wearing shorts and a t-shirt (he has this thing about bare arms and legs), that the day was not going to go as swimmingly as I had hoped.

We got into the car and headed to Timmies to pick up an iced cappuccino to deliver to Daddy at work before we headed into town.  So far, so good.  A donut and milk in Jonah's belly started the trip off just right in his mind.  We then headed downtown so I could do some quick banking, then I thought we'd walk over to the Minds Alive toy store to let Jonah play for a bit and pick out a book and an animal for his collection. Well, after giving him warning (too many times, I might add) that it was time to stop playing at the play stations and go pick his animal, he chose to ignore me.  So I paid for the book and told him it was time to go.  Not what he had in mind.

The next few moments were a bit of a blur but looked somewhat like this: Humiliated pregnant mother, drags 40lb-fitful-almost-three-year-old out of toy store by one very twisted arm as onlookers watch with smirking glances.  We end up outside on the sidewalk where the audience has now grown significantly in size (gorgeous Easter weekend afternoon in cottage country = very busy!).  Including a very scary looking Easter Bunny handing out treats, to whom I told to "go away" in so many words.  The angry toddler flops to the filthy pavement of Main Street, and REFUSES to move.  The van is all the way down at the other end of the street, not close enough for this pregnant mother to throw a kicking, screaming, 40 pound sack of potatoes over my shoulder without him causing undue harm to the peacefully sleeping infant in my belly.  Great.  Now what?

The shop keeper of whom's store we were in front of, comes out and closes his door.  I turn even more red.  I try walking away to see if Jonah would follow.  No luck.  Just concerned parents moving in closer thinking that this wailing kid is lost or something.  So I just stand there, silent, for half an hour while he continues to get dirtier and dirtier, sprawled out on the pavement.  His tears are black on his face.  The Easter Bunny comes by again.  I dart him a look.

Finally a concerned dad and his son get a little too close for Jonah's liking and he decides to get up.  I seize the opportunity and start walking.  Thank the Lord, he follows. Crying and yelling all the way back to the van.  I heave him into his seat, LOVING the sound of the click of his buckle, then jump in the driver's seat and drive off.  The shoe shopping will have to wait.

So there we were, him now whimpering in the backseat, and I trying to hold back the tears myself, headed home on this beautiful afternoon, to go to bed.

The book in my bag that I had purchased?  Where the Wild Things Are.  Ironic.  I certainly didn't need a book to tell me where the wild things were.  I had one sitting in the backseat.

18 comments:

  1. Ahhh, Caitlin. I could have saved you the trouble - your old copy is still on the bookshelf ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry to hear that you had such a hard time today. It did not sound fun. And you must have been on the verge of tears.
    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Had to come and read this post after your comments on MBN about it! Sorry you had such a hard day of it. I highly recommend standing outside the car after putting your child in and shouting at the sky for a while - it worked wonders for me the day of the library meltdown :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have three little boys, so oh, can I relate!

    Stopping by from the party!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Following from UBP:-)
    Andrea
    http://andrea-newblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute blog!!! Love it and hey my friend Shan made that Living in 3d button!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a two year old that is testing the boundaries too. Stopping from the party.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh you did good mama. I have so been there our nemesis is Target. At certain times of the day my daughter cannot go in there. I'm running out of Target stores to enter in the tri-county area. Hang in there it will pass. Oh yeah stopping by from the Blog party.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stopping by from The Ultimate Blog Party! Hi, I am so sorry that you had a rough day. Keep your head up, it gets better after a while. Trust me, I have been there, done that!

    Nice to meet ya
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, my - how appropriate! My boys are old enough now that I can laugh about it, but I remember the teeth-grinding frustration of that age!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It sounds like a typical episode from my life. We have walked out of many a store with nothing in hand and full carts in the aisles...lol!! It does pass...which is nice to know. Thanks for stopping by my blog today, I love your blog design!! It is great!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh I can't tell you how many days in my life could've been on the Supernanny!!!

    I love the frogs too- so cute!

    Tara's View of the World $150 WaySpa.com Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ohhh, yes...been there! (minus the Easter bunny of course) Thank you for sharing and finding humor in this experience...love the last paragraph! Stopping by from UBP10...will be back!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can so relate! I have two little boys! I hope the day got better!
    Stopping by from the party!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just stopping by from the UBP party and boy can I relate! I have 2 boys, 16 mos and 3 yrs...if it's not one with a tantrum it's the other! It's comforting in a way to know it happens to others and they get through it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. just found you from UBP and wow I have one boy and I can still relate. I can't believe it whenit happens to me I feel like I am the only one who's child's so unruly. don't watch where the wild things are movie, it was so violent, I thought any way, I love your frogs- and I love your friends bags at willow I will get some for september as my son is going to kindergarten.
    http://nf1andpre-kwhisper.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Stopping in from UBP! I've got my own almost 2 year old who's starting the terrible two's early, so it's nice to hear about other moms going through the same things as I do.

    http://mommyslifemakeover.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Stopping by from the UBP! I hope you are having a great week.

    Pop on over if you get a chance, I'm having a $50 Amazon Gift Card giveaway. It ends April 16th.

    http://www.ourhomeschoolhome.com/2010/04/ultimate-blog-party.html

    ReplyDelete