For me, fall is a time for casseroles, slow cooker cooking, and all around comfort food. My absolute favourite of which would have to be my Mom's homemade mac 'n cheese. I absolutely despise Kraft Dinner (a flaw of mine which is almost a deal breaker for my hubby who would eat KD for breakfast), probably because it can't even come close to comparing to this:
I took this pic before it was cooked because I was giving it away and wouldn't be seeing it in it's ooey, gooey, melty, cheesy glory. (Isn't there a Taco Bell commercial about that?)
I've been asked for this recipe many times, so I thought I'd share it here on the blog. Hope this is okay, Mom! If you try it, tell me what you think!
1. Cook 2 1/2 c of macaroni until done (al dente). Strain in colander.
2. In same pot, melt 1/4c of butter. Whisk in 1/4 c of flour, 1/4 tsp of dry mustard, 1 tsp of salt, and pepper to taste.
3. Add a few good splashes of Worcestershire sauce, more if you like a little more zip.
4. Whisk in 3 c of milk. Heat gently, stirring with a whisk frequently to prevent scorching until it comes to a gentle boil. Then keep stirring until it thickens. Turn heat down just to keep it barely bubbling. When it thickens, stir in 2 1/2 c of shredded sharp cheese until melted. Optional: Add a good dollop of Cheez Whiz for extra cheesiness.
5. Take off of heat and dump noodles back into the pot to mix. Pour into a greased casserole dish.
6. In microwave, melt 2 tbsp of butter or margarine. Toss 1/2 to 1 c of bread, cracker, or cornflake crumbs until coated (I've even used ruffles chips, but I like soda crackers best). Sprinkle over macaroni. Then sprinkle more shredded cheese on top.
7. Bake in oven at 350 until you see it bubbling around the edges and the topping is browned.
Pair it up with some homemade biscuits, a salad, and an ice cold glass of milk and you've got a meal made in heaven!