Sunday, March 14, 2010

Let's Talk - Part 2


I want to say thank you for the dozens of messages and comments in regards to my last blog post from people I knew and from those I didn't.  It has really confirmed for me just what I had been suspecting.  There are a lot of people, people whom you wouldn't even imagine, going through similar struggles of their own.  Depression and anxiety disorders are so widespread, and they are non-discriminate.

It is quite freeing to be able to talk openly now and not feel like I have something that I have to hide anymore.  For those of you who have been silently going through tough times of your own, take heart, you do not have to do it alone.  I encourage you to open up to close family and friends so that they can be a support for you, and help you through your battle.

For those of you just taking your first steps at journeying out of your "black holes" (as one comment I received referred to it), there is nothing better than getting the facts straight from your doctor.  There is also a wealth of information readily available online that you can learn from and be able to share with friends and family.  Of course, you'll want to stick with trusted medical sites for the most accurate information.  Here are a few:

Loads of information on a wide variety of mental health subjects, including but not limited to, clinical depression and chronic anxiety disorders:
Canadian Mental Health Association

Here you'll find information for pregnant mothers who are suffering from depression or have pregnancy induced depression (the onset of depression is not just a postpartum concern):
Motherisk: Hospital for Sick Children

I also encourage you to seek out community resources.  Most communities have a local CMHA chapter that provides information seminars that anyone can attend, free of charge.  These are especially helpful for friends and family that have questions and want to learn more.

If depression is creeping up and must be faced, learn something about the nature of the beast: You may escape without a mauling.   
~ Dr. R. W. Shepherd

No comments:

Post a Comment